Preparing and packing 500 PB&J sandwiches for Feeding South Florida
HOME / SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
As part of the world's largest hotel group, InterContinental® Hotels Group, the InterContinental® Miami is backed by a strong corporate social responsibility program, one that trickles into the day-to-day life of everyone at the Hotel. Through the Hotel’s operations and corporate governance, we strive create a positive impact on the environment, guest experience, employees and our Miami community. Our strategy is based on the tenets of Innovation, Collaboration, Environment and Community.
- We operate in sync with the IHG Green Engage online sustainability system to help us manage energy, water and waste more efficiently
- In 2011 we planted Downtown Miami only organic rooftop garden, being curated by Paradise Farms of Homestead, Florida
- Our 2011 room renovation includes energy efficient lighting, low flow water toilets and faucets, and recycle bins in each of the guest rooms.
- Each year the Hotel staff participates in Responsible Business Week in partnership with National Geographic’s Center for Sustainable Destinations. In 2012, History Miami guides Sylvia Gurinsky and Michael Pearlman led 7 hotel employees on a walking tour to the Miami Circle, followed by a cleanup of the area, which is now surrounded by a park. The brisk 10-minute walk runs alongside the Miami River and features art in public spaces. A National Historic Landmark, the Miami Circle is an archaeological excavation that offers great insight into the cultural pathways of the village of the Tequesta, one of the first settlers to the area.
- We also have a year-round partnership with Feeding South Florida, which is the area’s largest non-profit food organization, distributing over 2 million pounds of food each month to hungry South Floridians. The hotel donates leftover food from the hotel’s various food outlets daily. In 2012, during Responsible Business Week, we increased our donation as 22 employees gathered in the Garde Manger kitchen to assemble 500 PB&J sandwich bags with juice boxes. “These bags are a great source of instant energy,” says Brian Phelan, Director of Food Procurement for Feeding South Florida.
- To date, the Hotel is the largest purchaser of wind energy in Florida with a buy of over 15 million kWh, placing us on the EPA’s Green Power Partnership’s 100% Purchaser’s List. Our purchase avoids an estimated 10,665 metric tons of carbon dioxide, which is the equivalent to the greenhouse gas emissions from 2,091 passenger vehicles each year or the carbon dioxide emissions from the electricity use of 1,330 average American homes for one year.
- View all of the InterContinental® Miami’s Green Initiatives
The InterContinental® Miami's efforts have financially supported and generated awareness for a wide variety of organizations in the Tri-County Area.
- 2013 marks the 19th year of partnership with Make-A-Wish Southern Florida, highlighted each year through the InterContinental Miami Make-A-Wish Ball. The Ball has surpassed the $10 million mark in its fundraising lifetime.
- Other philanthropic and non-profits include but are not limited to: Actors’ Playhouse at the Miracle Theater, American Cancer Society, Florida Grand Opera, International Firefighters Assistance, University of Miami Project Medishare, Susan G. Komen Miami/Ft. Lauderdale Afíliate, Wounded Warriors