The Story Of Our Luxury Hotel in Miami, Florida
History, Art, And Technology
In 1982, InterContinental Miami was built in an untraditional way. Instead of building the hotel, then decorating it, we started with an art sculpture. Henry Moore's 18-foot, 70-ton Spindle sculpture, made of travertine marble, was the focal point our lobby was created around. Pietro Belluschi, a world-famous architect, designed our 34-story hotel. Our Grand Lobby presents an elegant entrance, with its Italian marble slabs and precious African wood complementing The Spindle. Since its creation, our luxury hotel in Miami has hosted heads of state, artists, and the world's top athletes.
Our luxury hotel in Miami, Florida holds commanding views of the Atlantic Ocean, Biscayne Bay, and the Port of Miami. 641 luxury guest rooms, including 34 suites, present luxury with Miami charm. Our 101,000 square feet of meeting space, spread over 33 meeting rooms, allows guests to hold massive conferences and quick meetings. InterContinental Miami is owned by Strategic Hotels & Resorts and operated by InterContinental Hotels Group PLC.
Fast Facts About Our Miami Hotel:
- The hotel was originally designed to be a casino.
- The hotel employs 615 colleagues, of which 33 have been with the hotel for more than 25 years, with 30% having been with the hotel for more than a decade.
- Between guests and locals, 500,000 people visit the hotel each year.
- The hotel has been the official home of the Orange Drop on New Year’s Eve for over 25 years. Mr. Neon Orange is custom built to fit the exterior apex of the hotel.
- The Presidential Suite and Royal Suite were originally decorated and named for President Ronald Reagan and Princess Caroline of Monaco, respectively. Today, they are both known as the Royal Palm and Metropolis Presidential Suites. In 2012, Venus Williams, along with her interior design company V*Starr Designs, fully renovated both suites and our InterContinental Club Lounge.
- Our hotel has been the Host Hotel for 5 Super Bowls.
- Our hotel was the Host Hotel for The Presidential Hemispheric Conference, bringing 20 heads of state to Miami.
- For 22 consecutive years, our hotel has presented the InterContinental Miami Make-A-Wish Ball to benefit the Make-A-Wish Foundation of Southern Florida. As of 2016, the total amount raised through the Ball exceeds $20 million.